We encourage international students to join the credit union before you arrive on campus to ensure an easy, simple transition to managing your money here in the United States.
Learn more about our Student Banking Package here.
Need to wire transfer money from outside the U.S.? Learn more here.
How to Become a Member
You Will Need:
- Government-issued ID or International Passport
- USC ID or Acceptance letter (must have USC ID on letter)
Step 1: Complete the Membership Application
- Read the application instructions, then complete our online membership application.
- If you do not have a U.S. Social Security Number, you will need to complete a Certificate of Foreign Status (W8) Form, which will be emailed to you after your application.
- Unfortunately, our system cannot take foreign address or phone number. If you do not have a U.S. address or phone number yet, we recommend you use our Flower St. Branch Address: 3720 S. Flower St. Los Angeles, CA 90089. This will allow us to complete your new account request.**
- As a member, you will have a regular savings account. Opening other accounts with the credit union is optional.
Step 2: Fund Your Account
- To avoid traveling with large amounts of cash, most international students prefer to wire transfer money before they arrive in Los Angeles. We strongly recommend this!
- You will receive two free incoming wire transfers per year!*
- Once we receive your application, we will contact you to finalize your documentation within 24 hours.
- The minimum initial deposit to open your account is $10 ($9 lifetime membership fee and $1 minimum deposit to your savings account). You may be prompted to deposit $44 into your account, however please disregard that prompt as your minimum deposit is only $10.
- For more information on your initial deposit refer to our FAQs under “Opening an Account – How do I make the opening deposit into the account”
Step 3: Activate Your Account
- Once you arrive on campus, visit one of our branches (locations) so we can verify your passport and signatures, activate your account, and issue your debit card.
- If you used the Credit Union’s address, please update the address and phone
number(s) as soon as you come in to get your debit card.
Step 4: Access Account Online
- You will receive your account number via a secured Docusign email once the account has been opened within
- Use your Account Number/Member Number to register for online banking
For additional information, please click on the International Students FAQ page.
More ATMs than any “Big Bank”
STUDENT CHECKING ACCOUNT DISCLOSURE: Must qualify for USCCU membership and membership fee may apply; please call (877-670-5860) or visit www.USCCreditUnion.org to confirm eligibility. Must be a USC student. Converts to Cardinal Checking 30 days after graduation or change in student status . Must pass Chexsystem. All accounts are subject to approval process. If new membership is closed within the first 90 days, there is a $5 early membership fee. Limit one (1) Student Checking Account per Student ID Number. Student Checking Account is not applicable to organizational or business entities and must be opened as a personal accounts. Accounts are subject to all terms and conditions set forth in the Account Agreement and Truth-In-Savings Disclosure
and Student Checking Account Disclosure.
*See our Schedule of Fees for subsequent transactions.
**Please add your U.S domestic address ONLY if you are currently living there.