We encourage international students to join the credit union before you arrive on campus to ensure an easy, simple transition to managing your money here in the United States. USC Credit Union is not a bank. We are a not-for-profit financial cooperative, which means that as a USC Credit Union member, you’re more than a customer–you’re an owner. We can help you navigate the confusing world of finance and serve as your financial partners as you establish and build your financial foundation. You can learn more about us here.
Become a member by following the steps below!
Step 1: Become a USC Credit Union Member
- Read the application instructions (Chinese Translation available), then complete our online membership application.
- If you do not have a U.S. Social Security Number, you will need to complete a Certificate of Foreign Status (W8) Form, which is included in the membership application.
- If you are under 17 years of age, you will need a co-signer, such as a parent, to open an account.
- Must be a USC Student between the ages of 17-24.
- As a member, you will have a regular savings account. Opening other accounts with the credit union is optional.
Step 2. To Open Your Account You’ll Need:
- Government issued ID.
- USC ID/Acceptance letter.
- Social Security Number* (not required for international students).
Step 2: Fund Your Account
- To avoid traveling with large amounts of cash or travelers checks, most international USC students and scholars prefer to wire money before they arrive in Los Angeles. We strongly recommend this!
- Once we receive and process your application, we will send you a secure email with your new account information and instructions on how to transfer money to your USC Credit Union account.
- Exclusively for international students, USC Credit Union will waive fees for international incoming wires up to two times per year.
Step 3: Activate Your Account
- Once you arrive on campus, visit our one of our branches (locations) so we can verify your passport and signatures, activate your account, and issue your debit card.
Our USC Credit Union International student representatives, came to USC just like you as international students and they understand that this can be a confusing process. Please contact them at BusinessDevelopment@usccreditunion.org with any questions. They will reply within 24 hours, Monday-Friday.
STUDENT CHECKING ACCOUNT DISCLOSURE: Must qualify for USCCU membership and membership fee may apply; please call (877-670-5860) or visit www.USCCreditUnion.org to confirm eligibility. Must be between 17 and 24 years old. Converts to Cardinal Checking thereafter. Must pass Chexsystem. All accounts are subject to approval process. If new membership is closed within the first 90 days, there is a $5 early membership fee. Limit one (1) Student Checking Account per Student ID Number. Student Checking Account is not applicable to organizational or business entities and must be opened as a personal accounts. Accounts are subject to all terms and conditions set forth in the Account Agreement and Truth-In-Savings Disclosure
and Student Checking Account Disclosure.
See our Schedule of Fees for subsequent transactions.